Merhaba Vzw General Privacy Statement
Non-profit organisation Merhaba Vzw is committed to protecting your personal data and respecting your privacy.
In this privacy statement, we want to provide clear and transparent information on how we handle personal data. We do everything in our power to guarantee your privacy and therefore handle personal data with care. In all cases, Merhaba Vzw shall fully comply with all applicable laws and regulations, including the General Data Protection Regulation.
This implies that Merhaba Vzw is committed to:
- Processing your personal data in accordance with the purpose for which it was provided. The purposes and types of personal data are described in this privacy statement.
- Restricting the processing of your personal data to only those data that are minimally required for the purposes for which they are processed.
- Requesting your explicit consent if we need it for processing your personal data.
- Ensuring the security of personal data by appropriate technical and organisational measures.
- Not transmitting personal data to third parties, unless this is necessary for the fulfilment of the purposes for which it has been provided. Before any information is transmitted, we will discuss this with you and you will be asked for your consent.
- Informing you of your rights regarding personal data and respect those rights.
Merhaba Vzw is responsible for the processing of your personal data. If, after reading our privacy statement, or in a more general sense, you have any questions about this or you wish to contact us, please use the contact details below:
Baksteenkaai 76 / 2
0483 09 10 07
Who does this privacy statement address?
This privacy statement applies to all our volunteers, current and past participants in activities, persons who show or have shown interest in our activities, persons who subscribe to our mailing list, customers and prospects, suppliers.
Why do we process personal data?
Your personal data will be processed by Merhaba Vzw for the following purposes and on the following legal grounds:
- So that you can participate in the activities of Merhaba Vzw (e.g. registering for activities).
- To provide training courses and workshops.
- To send information about our operations, activities and events.
Insofar as the processing of personal data is based on consent, you have the right to withdraw the consent given at any time.
For the above purposes, we may request the following personal data from you:
- Personal identification data: name, first name, address
- Private contact details: telephone number, email address
We only collect personal data that you yourself communicate to us in various ways (e.g. registration forms, contact forms on our website, personal telephone/email contact, etc.). We do not collect personal data via third parties.
We use the data collected only for the purposes for which we have obtained the data.
Whether or not you provide data
The data listed must be provided, if applicable, if you want to participate in activities and events of the association.
Provision to third parties
We may disclose the data you provide to third parties if this is necessary for the fulfilment of the purposes described above, in particular the processing of personal data.
For example, we use a third party for:
- Storing and processing data in the Cloud (via a Cloud Service Provider)
- Managing the internet environment (web hosting, mail hosting, etc.)
- Financial and general administration
- Insurance for our volunteers
- Creating and distributing newsletters and invitations
We obviously make the necessary arrangements with these parties (processors) to guarantee the security of your personal data.
We never pass on personal data to other parties that we have not concluded a processing agreement with.
Provision to third parties - recipients
We share personal data with the following external parties:
- In case of co-organisation of activities: partners we cooperate with to organise activities (activities developed by two or more organisations, and which require sharing lists of participants)
- Government services (e.g. subsidising authorities, tax administrations, social security authorities, e.g. when tax administrations check the register of volunteers)
Of course, we make the necessary arrangements with these parties to ensure the security of your personal data and to ensure that your data is treated confidentially.
Furthermore, we will not pass on your data to other parties, unless this is legally required and permitted. An example of this is the police requesting (personal) data from us as part of an investigation. In such a case we must cooperate and are therefore obliged to hand over these data.
At no time do we sell or rent your personal data to third parties.
Neither will we pass on your contact details to third parties for commercial purposes.
However, we may share personal data with other third parties if you give us your written consent. You have the right to withdraw this consent at any time, without prejudice to the lawfulness of the processing before the withdrawal.
We do not provide personal data to parties located outside the European Economic Area.
Merhaba Vzw retains personal data for no longer than is necessary to accomplish the purpose for which the data was provided, with due observance of the period necessary to meet legal requirements (e.g. in the field of accounting). However, retention periods can differ per purpose.
We have taken appropriate technical and organisational measures to protect your personal data from unlawful processing, use, loss or disclosure.
For example, we have taken the following measures:
- All persons who have access your data on behalf of Merhaba Vzw are bound by a pledge of confidentiality.
- We have a username and password policy on all our systems.
- We pseudonymise and encrypt personal data when appropriate.
- We use a virus scanner and update it systematically and on time, and we install a 'firewall'.
- We make back-up copies of the personal data in order to be able to restore them in case of physical or technical incidents.
- We regularly test and evaluate our measures.
- Our employees are informed about the importance of protecting personal data.
However, should an incident occur involving your data, you will be personally notified in the circumstances provided for by law.
Your rights concerning your data
You have the right to inspect and copy the personal data relating to you.
You have the right to correct and supplement your data if it is incorrect or incomplete.
You have the right to erasure (deletion) of the personal data we have received from you which are no longer strictly necessary for the purposes for which they were processed. However, we reserve the right to determine whether your request is justified.
You have the right to restrict data processing: if you object to the processing of certain data, you can ask for this processing to be stopped.
You can also object to the way in which certain of your personal data is processed. For example, you have the right to object to the use of your personal data for your own marketing purposes (via unsubscribe options in e-mails)
You also have the right to request that we transfer the data you have provided to yourself or, on your behalf, directly to another party.
You can contact us to exercise your rights at the address at the top of this privacy statement, accompanied by a motivation for your question.
We may ask you to identify yourself before responding to the above requests. To verify your identity, we ask that you attach a copy of the front of your identity card to your application. We strongly recommend that you make the passport photo invisible and indicate that it is a copy.
No category of persons shall be subject to any form of automated decision making or profiling.
If you have a complaint about the processing of your personal data or about the exercise of your rights, please contact us directly.
You always have the right to complain to the data protection supervisory authority:
Data Protection Authority (GBA)
Rue du Printing 35, 1000 Brussels
Change privacy statement
MERHABA VZW may amend its privacy statement from time to time. If that is the case, we will publish an announcement about this change on our website.